Sunday, September 8, 2013

Self-Assessment Essay

Interactive art is most definitely my strongest medium. My technical skills with designing, drawing and digital painting are not as strong as I would like them to be. To make my art stronger, I create the strongest visuals that I can, and use coding, a skill I find myself more proficient at, to push my artwork to new levels.

Theme-wise, I find myself inspired primarily by ancient Japanese mythology and traditional East Asian art styles, such as shodō (Japanese Caligraphy), sumi-e (Ink wash painting), and ukiyo-e (Woodblock print). I often find myself trying to create interactive environments as well, trying to avoid leading the viewer, but instead trying to invite them to explore.

Style-wise, Tenshō Shūbun's artwork provides a great example of the type of artwork I draw inspiration from. He had painted some absolutely beautiful ink landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment